Spring is wonderful for more than a few reasons: flowers are blooming, you can open up windows for fresh air and your utility bill is usually at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not turning on your heat or air.
But as temps begin to increase, so do your energy costs. Here are some ideas for saving energy in Columbia and keeping bills lower.
1. Book Seasonal AC Maintenance
Giving your cooling system a yearly maintenance visit can help it operate more efficiently and lower costs. Switching out your air filter will help keep power bills down.
If your air conditioning equipment has seen better days, spring is a smart time to upgrade it. The energy-saving features in updated cooling systems is a big advantage for keeping your utility bill down.
2. Turn Down Your Thermostat
There’s a painless way you can save up to 10% on HVAC bills. Just turn your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours during the day.
Understanding how to expertly schedule your thermostat is the easiest way to reduce energy costs in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re at home. Think about it this way, the lower the difference between exterior temperatures and indoor temperatures, the cheaper your energy bill will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a considerably higher temperature or turn it off. You shouldn’t have to cool an empty house.
3. Take Advantage of Other Approaches to Cool Your Home
You can do a few other approaches to help keep your house cool:
- Use a ceiling fan—By starting a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which drives cool air upward. This moves cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds shut—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it moves through windows. Keep your residence cooler by drawing blinds and curtains when you’re not sitting in sunny areas.
4. Think About Installing a Smart Thermostat
You’re out and about and suddenly realize you failed to turn up the thermostat. Then you worry about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats pick up on your schedule and correct the temp when you’re out to help you save on your bills. You can also change the temp from anywhere with your phone.
These professional ideas will all help keep summer energy bills economical. If you decide it’s time to modernize your thermostat or need AC installation, call our team at 803-399-7208 or contact us online. We’ll help you choose the right product for your house. And as always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.