Winter months in Columbia are upon us. In fact, the months of October through February have a history of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances occurring throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, schedule an annual furnace service now, before the peak of winter is here.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners know that their furnace may release deadly carbon monoxide gas, but greater than half don't do anything to keep it from occurring.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be surprisingly harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be mistaken for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that uses fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the chance to discharge carbon monoxide if the system is not running correctly or if it wasn’t installed appropriately.
Your annual furnace service company can help uncover any troubling problems. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Ensure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Inspect for any other out-of-place things that could compromise your safety
- Help you identify any additional areas where you may want to end up adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is operating at its peak efficiency, helping offer peace-of-mind that you’re in an ideal spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to know that many furnace manufacturers may require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the experts at Midland Air Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 803-399-7208 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the colder months.