Hearing strange noises when your air conditioner is working? There's likely something wrong with your AC. If you ignore it, it could lead to major—and expensive—problems eventually. We're going to help you find out what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to change it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling generally indicates a complication with your refrigerant line. If you can't pinpoint where the noise is originating from, that's alright. A technician can help find out where this noise is occurring. You can find more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can produce noise inside your house. Check out our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can come from a damanged refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Look through our hissing noise guide for more info.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is probably an electrical issue. Read our buzzing noise guide for further information.
- Clicking - Clicking can hint you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can check out more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can come from a loose part. Go through our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A clear noise from your outdoor unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Read our loud noise guide for supplementary information.
- Humming - Humming can be related to fan motor issues or a busted relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find additional information about frequent air conditioning problems on energy.gov
Should I keep running my air conditioner when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's almost impossible to answer this question without examining your system.
Most of the time, we recommend turning the unit off and bringing in a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you suspect there's an issue with your unit. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected expense, it's smart to get problems taken care of right away. Getting a professional could help minimize future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.