When bad weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair professional to check your system after the storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your prep paid off.
At Midland Air Service Experts, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time may not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets strewn about during threatening weather. Just make sure you have turned the system completely off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a safe place so that they don’t get strewn about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to head outdoors, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Midland Air Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Columbia, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other problems that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for threatening weather in Columbia or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 803-399-7208 or schedule an appointment with Midland Air Service Experts through our online scheduler.