Every year over 20,000 people end up in the emergency room as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is given off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the winter months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep you safe, Midland Air Service Experts is here with some tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Install a CO detector on each floor of your home and swap out the batteries annually.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, a minimum of three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to verify the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces alone. Power off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like porcelain tile. Keep young ones and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, invest in a model that shuts off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Don’t use a stove to warm your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned annually.
The best thing you can do for your heating equipment is to be sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping your home warm all winter but also safe, is to call for your fall tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Midland Air Service Experts will check to make sure your heating equipment is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 803-399-7208 today and ask how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.