One of the most common issues that we hear about at Midland Air Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Columbia is dusty air filters. They may seem like a very small piece of the whole home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us control comfort is a lot greater than most homeowners realize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a dirty air filter can cause a host of problems for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you forget to switch out your air filter? Here are a just a couple of the side effects you might encounter:
- Diminished airflow. This is easily the largest problem you’ll note when your home’s air filter is very clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being swapped out, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this hinders air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working a lot harder to give you the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is operating harder due to a clogged air filter, you also run the danger of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s operating overtime to give you cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a possibility if your air filter goes unattended for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something quits working or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off all the time. When your system short cycles, it may overheat or break down from the added work, which could end up causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shorter equipment lifecycle
- Lower energy efficiency
- Decreased air quality
- More dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last changed your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avoid any likely damage that may come with a dirty air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the number of air filters we carry, give Midland Air Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 803-399-7208 or schedule an appointment online.